Wednesday, March 9, 2016







For the past few days, trying to beat the rain, I have been obsessively putting together a huge garden box made from a couple of sections of an old cedar fence. It took forever to break down, let dry (it was soaking wet after being left out in the snow over the winter), cut off the rotted pieces, sand the nasty parts off, and organize into a box. It looks totally jacked up - clearly homemade; I used both screws and nails, and put it together in the least efficiant way possible. But looking at it makes me laugh with happiness and slight embarrassment. I wouldn't trade that learning experience! Buy a pre-made box? Hell no! Plus I got to use power tools! I felt totally rad. In the end, I'm proud of my hard work and nothing can beat the sweet sweet feeling of FREE WOOD.  Now my box is filled to the brim with dirt from an old garden, and planted with baby seedlings I started in February. Yummy vegetables, here I come!

 
Because I'm a chick, and chicks are good at multi-tasking, while putting my garden together I've also been experimenting with making sourdough bread. After watching Cooked on Netflix (something EVERYONE should watch, because food is super important), I got totally inspired to get my hands in there and wrangle some bread for myself. The show recommended not using commercial yeast, but, instead, capturing wild yeast from the air! What? Super cool. Sure it involves waiting around for your bread a little longer, but the end product is so worth it. My first loaf was totally jacked up - the first try at anything is going to be a little wonky, like a pancake - but I have hope for the second loaf in process of it's final rise right now. It's looking pretty sexy, as far as bread goes.

So, anyway, that's what I've been up to. And let me highlight the fact that I am extremely happy. There is such a sense of independence that these small steps toward self-sufficiency have given me. It's giving me a rush to the head. What can't I do?! You gotta try it. Seriously.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment